We are delighted to announce that our first essay competition is officially open. This is a great opportunity for surgically-minded students to explore a topic of interest, develop their academic writing skills and win some great prizes! The topic of the competition as follows:
What does surgical patient care look like for the future?
The top three authors will receive a free ticket to the 8th Scalpel Undergraduate Surgical Conference, 5 November 2016, as well as:
1st Prize: Automatically accepted for an oral presentation at our Conference and an eoMicro surgical simulator
2nd Prize: A Suture Tutor Plus Pro Complete kit
3rd Prize: A copy of the ‘The Unofficial Guide to Medical Research, Audit and Teaching’ book
GUIDANCE and REGULATIONS
- Essay submission
- Participation in the Scalpel essay competition is open to medical students from any medical school and year group.
- Submission deadline is 8 October 2016. The winner will be announced on 10 October 2016.
- The essays must be between 1000 and 1500 words and have up to 10 references.
- Please submit your essay as a PDF document to our email address: email@example.com
- Judges and Marking Criteria
- Essays will be judged by a panel of Core Surgical trainees from the North West region and the panel will be headed by a Consultant Surgeon.
- Standardised marking sheets will be used by all judges. The essays will be marked on their originality, depth and style.
- Each essay will be marked by 2 individual judges and the final mark will be the average total of the two individual marks. In case of a tie, the essays will be marked by the head of the panel.